how do empaths protect themselves from narcissists

7 Painful Truths All Empaths Must Eventually Face About Narcissists

How do empaths protect themselves from narcissists?

It’s no secret that Empaths feel it’s their obligation to save the world.  And when they’re being manipulated by a Narcissist, this sense of obligation becomes their whole identity as the Narcissist plays the victim to excess.

What a heavy weight we carry when we decide to take on the burden of another person’s choices or life.

It’s crucial for Empaths to acknowledge that Narcissists are disordered.  When we support them, we are either knowingly or unknowingly supporting a lie, as the person we think we’re helping doesn’t really exist.  While this fact alone is hard enough to swallow, following are seven more painful truths that all Empaths must eventually face about Narcissists.

1 – The narcissist isn’t a tortured soul who needs your special kind of love

Almost every Empath who’s ever been in a relationship with a narcissist has held the belief that if they could just show the narcissist how deep their unconditional love ran, then the narcissist would finally have an epiphany where he or she realized that there is a special and rare kind of love available to them, after all.

The love of an Empath certainly has its healing qualities, but it does nothing to change a narcissist’s behaviors or motives in the relationship.  Narcissists are morally bankrupt individuals who do not appreciate the things other people do for them.  Instead, they feel completely entitled to whatever love and devotion are directed towards them.  Almost every person the narcissist has been involved with gave them this unconditional love but, sadly, narcissists consider such love and devotion disposable.

2 – Although everyone admires and appreciates your compassionate nature, it also makes you highly attractive to narcissists

If everyone in the world boasted an Empath’s qualities, we’d live in a Utopia.  But, sadly, the world is full of manipulators who seek out and exploit people with the Empath’s character traits, such as these:

• Taking criticism to heart, reflecting on how their words and actions might affect other people.
  • Being highly empathic, having the ability to sense the emotions of others and respond instinctively in ways that help those in need.
  • Having a high level of tolerance, embracing the beliefs, practices, and lifestyles of other people.

Narcissists look for cooperativeness and compassion in partners because they know that they themselves don’t possess these traits at their most basic level, and excessively cooperative partners will put in the work of two people to keep the relationship going, projecting their own desirable traits onto the narcissist, thereby filling in the yawning gaps in order to make the relationship seem more normal.

This high level of cooperativeness is the most significant trait narcissists look for in partners because they intuitively know that such partners will stay in the relationship with them way beyond reasonable limits. [1]

3 – The narcissist isn’t interested in your deep thoughts

Empaths are deep thinkers who possess highly evolved viewpoints about people and the world.  It’s hard to find anything that makes an Empath feel more alive than finding a kindred spirit to share their thoughts and opinions with.

Narcissists put on a good show, pretending to be enlightened and advanced in modern philosophies, but the truth about their close-minded dogmas is eventually discovered which profoundly shatters the Empath’s heart.  Worse, once the relationship begins to sour, the narcissist typically mocks and ridicules the Empath for his or her views and theories.

4 – The narcissist is your soul mate, but not in the way you’d hoped

Urban dictionary defines soulmate as:

A person with whom you have an immediate connection the moment you meet — a connection so strong that you are drawn to them in a way you have never experienced before. As this connection develops over time, you experience a love so deep, strong and complex, that you begin to doubt that you have ever truly loved anyone prior. Your soulmate understands and connects with you in every way and on every level, which brings a sense of peace, calmness and happiness when you are around them.

Unfortunately, this is not the true definition of a soul mate.  A soul mate’s true purpose is to bring all your wounds, fears, and insecurities to the surface so you can reconcile them.  Don’t mistake this to mean that there is a healed future with the narcissist.  They were only meant to be in your life for a season.

5 – The narcissist is not the “runner” in what you thought was a twin flame relationship

Many empaths mistake the dysfunctional undercurrents of a relationship with a narcissist as those of the twin flame runner/chaser dynamic

Narcissists take advantage of this mistaken belief, using it as a great window of opportunity to disappear from the Empath so they can groom other supply or generally live life on their own terms, which includes pretending to be in a committed, progressive relationship, all while they secretly live life as a single person behind the Empath’s back.

Narcissists excuse themselves for this covert behavior by claiming they love the Empath too much and are frightened by the depth of their love, hence why they feel inclined to “run”.

6 – Even if you and the narcissist made contracts together before this lifetime, you must accept the necessity to move on without them

In the spiritual scheme of things, many people believe narcissists are put into our lives to help us evolve into healed, cosmically aware individuals.

While that may be true, we must recognize when it comes time to sever those ties and vows with the narcissist, which feels devastating for any Empathic individual with strong moral codes.

Whereas Empaths want to soothe the narcissist’s hurts and help them feel secure, the narcissist simply wants to siphon the Empath’s compassionate energy like fuel for an engine.

Even after the relationship ends, the energetic ties remain, despite the amount of time that elapses.  And even though you may be apart from them now, you’re still deeply bonded to them energetically. This can drain your energy, as well as cause symptoms of depression and hopelessness.  Therefore, it’s critical to cut the energetic ties with the narcissist so you can move on.

7 – Love doesn’t always conquer all

Most Empaths hold these common beliefs about love and relationships:

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.  Love conquers all.  Everyone has some good in them and deserves the benefit of the doubt.  If you want to be forgiven, you must forgive.  The Ex didn’t have any family or friends, and now I’ve “abandoned” them, too.  I wasn’t perfect, either.

These nuggets of insight might apply to other areas of life, but not to toxic relationships.  Why? Because it gives Empaths another way to torture themselves.

It doesn’t matter if you were with your Ex for two, ten, or thirty years, it’s time to accept that you did everything within your power to salvage the relationship.

The misguided fear that you could have done something differently is based on the narcissist having changed the goal posts continuously– and yes, it was deliberate. Click To Tweet

This explains why every single Empath believes there is something else they could have done to save the relationship.  It’s a result of conditioning — and overwriting this belief will be part of your healing journey.

So, how do empaths protect themselves from narcissists?

Living a healed, balanced, and happy life means accepting these painful truths, even though the Narcissist cannot.  They can’t be healed because for that to happen, they’d first need to acknowledge they are wounded.  Instead, Narcissists use fear, obligation, and guilt (FOG) to keep their targets perpetually catering to their every whim…and overlooking lies and broken promises.

© 2018 Kim Saeed and Let Me Reach, LLC

Are you an Empath who must face the painful truth about narcissists?  Download your free Beginner’s Healing Toolkit below!

Give Yourself Permission to Heal

Happy woman beach sunset

Join thousands of others who are joining the 10-Day Recovery Mini-Course and get instant access to:

The Beginner's Healing Kit + Free Master Class: 7 Proven Steps to Narcissistic Abuse Recovery

[1] Brown, S. (2009). About Her. In Women who love psychopaths (2nd ed., p. 131). Penrose, NC: Mask Publishing.

Tatiana says July 18, 2018

You are right on point Saed. The narcissist that I had to endure just had the audacity of telling that me that the reason why he had been behaving so strangely for a good amount of years, was because he loved too much and got scared. He actually used those very same words and on that order. Just to think of the mokary I’ve been subjected to makes my nerves boil.

Banshee1124 says July 17, 2018

This is me. It was so me. God did I fight for that man. Its so strange to be on the other side now and see how blindly naive I was. I literally felt guilty after giving birth to our child and burying her because he said I was just faking the pregnancy to get his attention. I felt guilty for running away and hiding from him while I was pregnant because he was so violatile. I felt guilty that he never made it to the hospital to see her before I buried her. I felt guilty during the weeks after when I would lay in bed and cry and he’d refuse to speak to me because I needed to “get it together”. Im literally stunned now at my own foolishness. I made up every excuse you listed here and more. Its humiliating.

Lisa says July 17, 2018

This is so perfect. OMG I cannot tell you how very much I needed every single word of this! THANK YOU!

Kim Saeed says July 18, 2018

Happy to know my article resonated with you, Lisa 🙂

Scott says July 17, 2018

This phrases from the 6th paragraph bothers me…

“Narcissists are morally bankrupt individuals who do not appreciate the things other people do for them.”

I believe my estranged wife suffers from NPD, but I don’t believe her to be “morally bankrupt.” Maybe it’s me being the empath, but I feel sorry for her…sorry for the horrible childhood that caused her to create and live behind her false self. I’ve experienced anger towards her (along with the sadness and hurt), but as a seeker of enlightenment, I cringe at the harsh, judgemental words typically used to describe the sufferers of NPD. They are only being that which they are. I do not believe my wife consciously lured me into our relationship to destroy me. I know that I cannot fix her, but I can’t blame nor curse her either. I feel pity for her.

I want to thank you for your work. Today was the 6th straight day I awoke without the pit in my stomach…the pit that was there every morning since my wife ghosted me (on 4/1). Your writings (among others’) answered the question that was torturing me so. The big “why?”. Once I saw the pattern of our relationship clearly laid out and explained – the bliss, the rage, the devaluing, and now the discard (with silent treatment), my question was answered. You are a huge help and again, thank you for your efforts!

Cheers!

Kim Saeed says July 17, 2018

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for reading my post, your kind praise, and for reaching out.

I can relate to why you feel the way you do regarding your ex’s bad childhood. I won’t take up your time with my own experiences with narcissistic abuse, but as someone who has been coaching and guiding people out of their own toxic relationships for many years, I have seen too many people destroyed to believe that narcissists possess even the smallest shred of humanity.

The reason you feel that way is because you have a shared history with her and probably still have romantic feelings for her. I’ve seen many awful things happen in my time, but the worst is when a child of a narcissist commits suicide or when their spouse is diagnosed with a terminal illness, and the narcissist simply goes on with life…and being the narcissist they are.

I believe almost all of us feel the way you do in the beginning. But, once you heal and are able to look back on things with more clarity, you may feel much differently.

At any rate, I am very happy to know that you are healing and moving forward. I wish you all the very best in that regard!

Warmly.

Tatiana says July 18, 2018

Please understand you are still being gaslighted

Catherine Fieker says July 17, 2018

Good morning, I do not believe I have ever written on this site. I do believe I am an Empath and i was married to a narcissist was in the relationship for 3 years. For me it was love, it was hard for me to believe that he did not love me, I tried many times to leave and he always seemed to know. He watched my every move anticipated my actions, if he suspected any hint of change in my routine he was there. I lost my home, my car, he isolated me from family and friends. I believed he loved me, i believed every lie that he told me. After one beating and choking me until i passed out, he said because i was screaming and he didnt want to alert the neighbors, i called a woman I know and she encouraged me to get out before he killed me, well you know the cycle he was sweet and flowers and lovey as he called it the dope with big puppy dog eyes and i fell for it. Of course he never apologized for any beatings or the endless nights he made me stand and listen to him rant about something i did not even understand what i had done wrong, and i used to say “the argument went around and around in circles” and i most of the time did not have a clue what he was wanting. So with his winning performance i believed, or wanted to believe I could make it work. I also felt stuck. I could not reach out to my family, i didnt think any one knew what was going on. So here i was, I was afraid of him, he began to pick up on my fear and used it to inflict more fear, would say “dont flinch when i touch you” and would slap me or punch me with his fist, usually in the gut or high on my arm, or leg so my clothes would hide the bruises. once he bit me in my on my forearm my whole arm swelled and alot of pain for a long time..But i was afraid of him.
then a death in my family happened a cousin that I grew up with, i was forced to call my aunt and tell her I could not make it to the funeral, i was told to put it behind me and move forward that it did no good to morn those who have gone on… Then my father passed away, I was not going to let that go I wanted to be there show my respect but according to my husband i was negligent in telling him the plans and then because “we got lost” he couldnt understand what i was saying, etc… so when we got to the visitation late, missed a family meal before, and my sons saw him slap me because i was crying he was talking thru gritted teeth that he was not going in and that he was going to leave me stranded there let me find my own way home, and for me to shut up and stop being a blubbering fool, and to dry my eyes …. but my sons saw just the slap, when i got out of the car i could barely walk because for 8 hours he had been yelling at me hitting my left inner thigh repeatedly with his fist because i was so stupid and could not do anything right and …and…. long story short I knew i had to get away i had to go back to our home, he did not leave me, his excuse was that he was in so much physical pain that i should not push him….he was a little more kind that next week until we had an outing, there again i was so stupid he could not imagine how someone my age had made it so far in life and yell yell yell and if anyone came within hearing distance he would get closer to me and talk through gritted teeth and i had to keep thinking “stone wall” “stone wall” and try not to do anything any different. I could not let him know i was planning to leave, he had already accused me of being a quitter and that weighted heavily. I felt like a complete looser, part of me kept thinking i was not worthy of living life, and felt i deserved everything i got. I kept praying to God and and things only escalated. Like i said i lost my home, had not spoke to most of my family in 3 years, i just was lost. I loaded my car with what i could get in it, he had given most of my clothes away because he wanted me to wear loose baggy sweat pants and his t-shirts because they were loose , he would tell me “comfortable” but he wanted me to be “invisible” someone that if they saw anything amiss would not remember, no make-up regular clothes…. i drove away, scared for my life. I got a protection order and have had no contact for 2 years and i still fear that one day he will fulfill his threat of killing me and my family. But i found out after i had left he had been married under different names many times and that gives me hope or the belief that he will not come after me, i have to believe he told them the same thing. I am so grateful that i dont have to live that life anymore but i have to keep telling myself i am not stupid, ignorant, slut, whore, cur dog…. etc. I am me, I am a very caring tender hearted person and i fell so hard. Believe me i KNOW it is hard to get back to semblance of normalcy. 2 years out and i still fear him, i still have triggers, alot are something to the effect of me being stupid. I hate it and i keep putting positive sayings, and trying to think positive, but that is so hard when you were beaten so low.

Shirley Akpelu says July 17, 2018

I am an empath.
I know that for a fact.

shelly miller says July 17, 2018

Thank you so much…this is so me…and you put words to how I was feeling and questions that I have had for so long….time to move on and be me without him..and be ok with me..as I am. Shelly

Kim Saeed says July 18, 2018

I’m very glad to know my article helped clarify some things for you, Shelly. Wishing you all the best as you move forward. 🙂

Laura says May 14, 2018

I believe myself to b an empath. That may b why I feel I have work to do to heal from my exs 4 yrs of cruel abuse, even though its been 40 yrs.

Amanda says March 10, 2018

I don’t know where to turn. I need to leave but I can’t get away. I’m tired of being abused mentally and physically. Help

Kim Saeed says March 11, 2018

Hi Amanda,

Why do you say you can’t get away? At the very least, you might be able to secure transitional housing with your local domestic violence center. Lots of people in your shoes have found relief that way. Wishing you all the best.

E'Dena Craig-Romero says July 17, 2018

Maybe it’s not the financial part of leaving but the emotional trama of living without this person. Even though he abuses you in the most cruel of ways your heart, soul and mind won’t allow you leave.

ellen says March 2, 2018

This is almost exactly me and my ex narc story… Been two monthe and the energetic ties are still so strong… Any advice in this would be great… 💜💛

beemack says February 8, 2018

Thank you for this article. I needed it today

Matrona Moraitis says February 6, 2018

My ex narc and I have not been together for 2 years, and he has a new supply. But the thing is they are both tormenting and stalking me. He will not stop at nothing to destroy my life with his new supply at hand. She thinks that she’s helping him with this madness, but I can see that she will be the next in line with the same script and outcome. Hes also turned my children against me but slowly two of them are starting to see the cracks in the masks he changes into. My 23 year old wrote him a long letter so she has something to show him. I’m proud of her as I seriously thought I had lost all hope with all of my kids. The truth sets you free in the end. But picking up the devastating effects of the abuse and all the bullshit that goes with it is the hardest thing I have ever encountered. I just hope that i will make it to the other side with joy happiness and prosperity in my life. REVENGE I have thought of many times but the revenge is to better yourself and have a good life. That will make the narc more jealous and envious cause now he’s got something to really talk about. I just want him out of my life and I thought by him having a new supply I’d be done. Gezz was I wrong, he won’t go away he still there in the back ground slandering me hard. Gossiping about me to everyone and I know he’s playing the victim role and blamed me for everything and said that I abused him. HAHAHA what a joke. He should get an academy award. To me now he looks and sounds so ridiculous and I know he lies all the time hes never told the truth about anything. I’m so angry with myself cause he WAISTED my youth energy breath and my previous time. I regret every moment I spent with him cause he never cared or loved me from the beginning of our relationship. And I always knew in my heart that there was something wrong with him, I could see it and feel it. He never valued his own family and in the end it was my values and beliefs that saved me from the insanity. An angel was looking out for me so I’m grateful that I got away from him.

Skye says August 24, 2017

I honestly find that viewing narcissists as a human form of cancer, or a natural disaster, makes it easier for an empath to accept the above truths. A narcissist’s core value is entitlement, and they’re very likely sociopaths. It can be argued that sociopaths are neurologically different, practically a different species. They’re not demons or monsters, but certainly not human in the way we like to see it. It is their NATURE to hurt. And therefore love doesn’t conquer all with narcissists.

Empaths are the antithesis of narcissists. All the unconditional love and acceptance a empath gives is like holy water to demons, or light to vampires. If something or someone is allergic to pure love, I think that’s a very good sign something’s not right with them.

We forgive to not hold hate within us, for the sake of our own sanity, and those we care about, so we don’t carry grudge and resentment and spread it to those who deserve our love. Narcissists aren’t narcissists because they were abandoned or abused, tons of people have been abandoned and abused and THEIR reaction is make sure NO ONE ELSE ever has to go through what they went through. So really the actions of a narcissist is a CHOICE. And they’re using their past to excuse themselves instead of taking responsibility for their actions.

Brandy says July 7, 2017

Wow, that was so beautifully said. I find it weird when I was with my narcissist he knew when I was feeling great or happy because he would always call at that moment to see what I was doing. Some weird psychic connection. Thank for your post, I actually printed it so I can build some type of strength against my narcissist. I feel like he brain washed me to believe he is whom I need to worship. It has made me into a dependent person. I was always seeking his approval. May we all heal fully.

Patricia says May 2, 2017

I do believe that on a soul level, we have made a pact with the Narcissist person/lover . We did this to learn a valuable life lesson and that was to love ourselves, honour our uniqueness and not allow anyone to destroy our empathy. I believe that the Narcissist will have taken some of the lessons we have taught them even if they can’t accept them now. I agree that they are our ‘soul mates’ or ‘Life’s Lessons Partner’ but we were never meant to stay with them but to accept that we have learnt a lot about ourselves in the time we were with them. Learning to love ourselves, healing the inner child that is wounded and being strong enough to start setting boundaries so that we never cross paths again in this life or the next with a narcissist. Many empaths have also being wounded badly by Narcissistic parents and we never learnt how to set boundaries or to experience what being truly loved means. I am going to work on myself and heal. I thank my ex for showing me that I needed to do so before it’s too late.

margaret says April 28, 2017

Left me x after 35 years. it’s been 11 years since then. It cost me everything. My children knew how hard it was. They were in it too but they share his point of view in all this and that is I am the sick one and I will never change. I am NO CONTACT with him but I miss my children and try to talk to them but they insist they have “moved on” and don’t need a mother anymore. They are 25 and 35. Where does that come from?? I now have no family, no friends and completely cutoff from everyone. I don’t mind living alone, being poor but I don’t deserve any of this.

marie says April 28, 2017

Nice article Kim. I’m in the process of moving out after 2 years with a 7 yo son and an 8-month daughter, but he has instilled fear in me and I’m afraid he might harm my kids if I leave. he is so irresponsible, doesn’t provide for the family yet he claims to love us. he accuses me of being rude when I have a different opinion when we argue. the list is endless. your articles are the only motivation I have right now. I hope to find the courage to leave him.Thanks.

Michelle says April 27, 2017

Wow that was great!! Everything you wrote about I can relate to exactly as you’ve described. It is definitely a sad and painful truth to accept and move on from,but I know after it’s all said and done an even stronger person will rise up from what was once a big mess that we had believed was our happily ever after. Thank you for what you write, it’s very insightful 🙂

diana Krall Misty says April 27, 2017

For hottest news you have tߋ pay a visit worlԀ wide web
and οn the web I found this site as а finest web ⲣage for hottest updates.

Mary says April 26, 2017

I agree in general with your writing.. but i do not think any part of the narcissists reason or meaning is to heal us in any way.. what we do with it in the end is up to us… they are Ill intent.. and that is all that drives them… their only meaning is meaninglessness…. it is US that turn it into something meaningful… something they will despise.. once we know and start truly healing.. it is when they will hate us even more.. he wanted the revelation to kill me.. he wanted my suicide.. not my evolution.. he can’t evolve.. and he resents that i have something he knows he lacks.

Lee says April 27, 2017

Mary, well said. I agree.

Vivian says April 20, 2017

I have come to the full realization of the narcissist personality and that I have been married to one for over 30 years. It really is somewhat of a relief to know the reason for why things have been as they have, though very difficult as well. There have been good times but the desire to make a connection and to be treasured for who an empath (me) is has obviously never been there. I know I need out of this relationship. The only thing holding me back is I have been a stay-at-home-mom for a great deal of those years and it has been very difficult to find a good paying, permanent, full time career. I have an education degree and have applied for numerous positions but currently am subbing which is great pay but not enough to support myself and house payments, etc, as well. I read all over the internet that this is a common problem for women trying to re-enter the work force in their 50’s.

Ann says April 18, 2017

I have sent several emails before. Do you conduct private sessions with clients,

Kim Saeed says April 18, 2017

Hi Ann!

Sorry, I recently switched assistants and a few things got lost in the shuffle! Please accept my apologies…yes, I do offer private sessions, as well as coaching packages. You can review the details here: https://letmereach.com/consults-mentoring/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Anonymous says April 16, 2017

Kim. I can’t thank you enough for your “7 painful truths all empaths must eventually face”. This was a missing piece of the puzzle for me and was a huge point I needed to hear point 5. The way you say it like it is. I knew in an indirect way I wasn’t included in the narcissists life but I didn’t have the words. I can now trace this back to my parents and discovered the origin of my feeling of not being included. You have helped me so much to start to get grounded in myself. I can’t thank you enough

Kim Saeed says April 16, 2017

Hi Anon,

I’m very glad to know my article resonated with you. I learned these truths the hard way myself and have coached some of my clients through them, as well. I hope you find a way to heal your wounds, anon. You deserve to be happy.

XoXo

Lee says April 18, 2017

I agree totally!!

Anonymous says April 15, 2017

Thank you for the article “7 Painful Truths All Empaths Must Eventually Face About Narcissists’ I ve taken a test that concluded I was an empathy. It was a test by Judith Orloff, MD. I am divorcing my husband of 24 years, I had begun to pull away from him and just got numb, when he learned I was looking for an apartment the disgard began, he also got together with an old ex girlfriend and convinced her to leave her husband and children. He is extremely good at manipulating and playing the victim. Its been a year since I started learning what was really happening and had been happening. He also has manipulated one of our grown children to see him as a victim and how he has a right to dump me and move onto the woman who truly makes him happy. Ugh, its all so sickening, shocking and crushing. The twin flame reference is what really caught my attention, I kept wondering if that is what happened but something about it just didn’t resonate. I don’t ever want to be around my soon to be ex ever again. I kept thinking, I know I need to deal with how I could be with someone like my husband and never quite convince myself he was doing something I just couldn’t get a handle on. On some level I knew something wasn’t right, but kept convincing myself, marriage takes sacrifice and he had such a rough childhood…. I should be more understanding and giving. I still feel confused and am not looking forward to mediation. He quietly goads me… Its very hard to explain how he has been able to push my buttons. Its hard to believe this is the man I have been married to for so many years.. Sorry for the run on.. Im still shocked by everything even after a year..

Kim Saeed says April 16, 2017

Hi Anon,

Thanks for stopping by 🙂 It definitely takes a while to get over this and if you share children, it’s a little tougher sometimes. I started healing and moving forward when I learned to implement EXTREME modified contact. I rarely speak to my Ex on the phone and use mostly email to communicate. Sadly, I don’t talk to my son when he’s at his dad’s on the weekends, but that leaves less chance for the Ex to flirt and hoover…and believe me, he has tried (even though he’s remarried and has children with his new wife).

Be extremely diligent during mediation and make sure you document everything.

Wishing you the best,

Married to cousin of Shana and going through divorce. says April 17, 2017

Hello Anonymous. Your story sounds much like mine. Our relationship was unhealthy from the beginning but I was such an empath I suffered through it for 36 years. I’m glad you figured it out before spending any longer being what I would call a captive. Celebrate the freedom found in the discovery of what a narcissist truly is and why you can’t help them no matter how long or how hard you try. We have 7 kids and hrs convinced most of them that he’s a victim. I think that’s the hardest part is that you feel so alone and it makes you question your own logic. They are pros at this. It’s just the way their minds work. If they have been able to convince and control you, think how easy it is for them to do the same to your child.They are like the Pued Piper with the magic flute. Don’t blame the kids but hopefully eventually they will someday recognize the truth for themselves. I wish you well and pat yourself on the back for breaking free! Be your own Heroine and rise to your great potential!

Lee says April 18, 2017

Dear Anon, I so agree with what you’re saying…prayers for you on your journey.

Jane Snider says April 15, 2017

Dear Kim, I am an LPC who is three years out from finally ending a relationship with a Narcissist. It was not my first relationship with one. Yes, I am an empath. I just wanted to let you know that I never miss one of your posts and I am so appreciative of your help. Even now, he is able to (almost) Hoover me back in. He is annoyed because I won’t “present our relationship to his family and my family and others” in the way he wants me to. Which would be to pretend that we are still good friends. Amazing. Thanks for helping me be strong!

Kim Saeed says April 19, 2017

Hi Jane! Thank you for following me and for commenting. I am glad to know my articles are helping you 🙂

I can relate to your situation as I was also expected to present my relationship with my Ex as something totally different than what it really was. Boy, did that lead to a LOT of conflict!

Wishing you all the best in your journey…

Victor says April 15, 2017

Excellent article Kim!

Kim Saeed says April 16, 2017

Thank you, Victor! It’s great to see you’re still here 😉

Patricia Chamness says April 15, 2017

I am definitely an empath, with a husband with narcissist traits. I am 68 years old and my husband is 72. I left him while my daughter was being treated in another state for cancer. He treated me so badly while I was gone. Totally self absorbed and could not understand how I could leave him in his condition. Yes, he is very ill and has used thar against me for years. At the same time at least once a tear telling me to leave and get a divorce. The situation had gotten so bad by then I left to be with my daughter. After a year and a half my daughter was in recovery and he still had not let me go. He told me he only had a few months to live so yep I came home. Of course that was a lue but I still feel my place is here till the end. He has me back and in a lot if ways things are better. But I know it won’t last. It is a terrible thing when you are waiting for someone to die to move on with what’s left of your life.

Trish says April 15, 2017