when a narcissist knows you are onto them

10 Things to Expect When a Narcissist Knows You’re Onto Them

• 5.3K

Are you preparing to let the narcissist know you’re onto them?

What could be more vindicating then letting the narcissist know you’ve figured them out? That you’re onto their game and you’re not going to take it anymore?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but here’s a little secret: it’s NOT going to go down the way you want it to.

The narcissist isn’t going to cower in shame, cry, or finally see the light of reason. They’ll never allow you to have closure because their entire personality relies on having the upper hand in every interaction.

When a narcissist knows you are onto them, things go from bad to hell before you can even process what’s happening – but that’s exactly the narcissist’s strategy.

What Happens When a Narcissist Knows You’re onto Them?

If you’re committed to exposing a narcissist, please read the list below before following through. In many cases, exposing a narcissist can backfire and make things much worse for you.

Does this mean you should put up with their abuse? Absolutely not.

However, you should weigh the pros and cons of letting them know you’ve figured them out.

Narcissists define the word “reactionary.” When a narcissist knows you’re onto them, they dial all their worst toxic and abusive qualities up to 10 and go full self-destruct Samson mode.

Plan your exit strategy first and then decide if it’s worth it because a wave of abuse like you’ve never experienced is coming.

1 – Gaslighting

The narcissist’s specialty: gaslighting.  As you start to expose the narcissist, they’ll do everything they can to convince you that you’re wrong.

“You’re remembering things incorrectly. That’s not what happened. You’re crazy!”

Gaslighting is their specialty as the first line of defense. It’s much easier to use lies and manipulation to convince you that you’re wrong instead of actually owning up to their abusive behavior.

2 – Baiting

Narcissists rely on something called trauma bonding to keep you hooked. When a narcissist knows you’re onto them, they’ll immediately bait you into a fight with extreme insults on your character.

The goal is to get a rise out of you. To a narcissist, screaming, yelling, and crying are all signs that you still care about them.

Don’t fall for it. The best thing you can do is remain emotionless.

Break Free Bootcamp

3 – Fear and Manipulation

Keep in mind that the narcissist has spent months or years breaking down your very identity. They know more about you than you know about yourself.

“You’ll never find someone like me and you’ll die alone.”

“How can you do this after everything I’ve done for you?”

As you expose them, they’ll turn to your deepest fears, flaws, and guilt to break you down and manipulate you into capitulation.

4 – Projection

You fool! Can’t you see? They’re not the narcissist, you are! (Or so they’ll try to convince you.)

Brace yourself because the narcissist is going to project all their abusive qualities, insecurities, and flaws onto you.

The narcissist knows that you’re not like them. You experience normal emotions like guilt and compassion – they don’t. They’ll project their abuse onto you because they assume you’ll accept it and apologize.

5 – Leveling

How can you call the narcissist a bad person when you, too, have done some terrible things?

Who are you to evaluate the narcissist’s abusive behavior? You’re not a psychologist. What gives you the right?

When a narcissist knows you’re onto them, they’ll resort to something called leveling to bring you down to their level.

They’ll attack your integrity and your past shortcomings to make their abuse seem normal and make you think you have no ground to stand on.

6 – Devaluation

Narcissists always turn to devaluation during the relationship but when the narcissist knows you’ve figured them out, the gloves come off.

Expect to have every slur and insult in the book hurled at you with hate bombing. Even if the narcissist wasn’t physically abusive previously, now might be the time the physical violence comes out.

Yes, it could get that bad.

7 – Victimization

If you haven’t noticed yet, the narcissist is always the victim.

If you attempt to expose them, they’ll attack you for bringing up all their flaws after they had “the worst day” at work. They’ll blame their abusive behavior on a previous relationship or sob story about their upbringing (which probably isn’t even true).

Even if you think the situation is a clear-cut case of the narcissist hurting you and doing something wrong, they will miraculously wriggle into the position of a victim.

8 – Blackmailing

Get ready to experience a level of vindictiveness like you could never imagine – especially if you expose the narcissist and refuse to cave after their initial outburst.

In fact, those are their specialties.

9 – Smearing Your Character

If you go public with exposing the narcissist to gain the upper hand, get prepared for massive damage control because the narcissist is an expert at destroying your name.

They’ll tell blatant lies about you to all your friends and even your family. If they see a therapist (usually as a formality, for validation, or to “prove” something to you), they’ll do nothing but talk smack about you.

These extreme reactions (like smearing and blackmailing) are why you should rethink your idea to expose the narcissist.

Break Free Bootcamp

10 – Discarding

Then again, when a narcissist knows you’re onto them, they may decide that you’re not worth the effort anymore.

They’ll simply discard you as you expose them, spread lies about you, and find a new supply.

What to Do When the Narcissist Knows You’ve Figured Them Out

First, stay calm.

When a narcissist knows you are onto them, they’ll gaslight you every chance they get in their effort to pull you back over to the dark side. Don’t let them.

You must stay clear-headed and calm because they’ll use every trick in the book to make you believe that you’re wrong and try to get a reaction out of you.

Now is the time to cling to your support system for dear life because you’ll need them as the narcissist implodes.

When the narcissist knows you’ve figured them out, that’s your cue to leave and never look back. Going No Contact at this point is critical because the elevated level of abuse isn’t going to subside.

Is exposing the narcissist worth it?

Consider this: they’ll never allow you to have closure so get that idea out of your head. Exposing them or letting them know you’re onto them accomplishes nothing except providing the narcissist with an opportunity to rope you back in with an emotional fight.

Unfortunately, that’s the best-case scenario. In the worst-case, they can turn violent and extremely vindictive. That’s why it’s typically not worth the short rush of calling out the narcissist.

How To Get Started On The Stages of Healing After Narcissistic Abuse

Join the Free Beginner’s Healing Roadmap and Email Mini-Course and learn:

1. The real reason why you can’t seem to move forward
  2. How to finally stop sabotaging yourself
  3. How to start becoming emotionally independent

Just click the button below to join:

SEND ME THE LESSONS ($0.00)

If you’re ready to break free and get started on the stages of healing after narcissistic abuse NOW, there’s only ONE way to do it: Let me show you how to forget the narcissist and move on.

• 5.3K

Girl says September 15, 2020

I cried when I read this…its so accurate

J says August 13, 2020

Correction…my narc.. Is beyond The real reason why you can’t seem to move forward is because he still constantly hacks me.
How to finally stop sabotaging yourself. Get the restraining order. Forensics…
How to start becoming emotionally independent . do all this shit write your book gain your justice and independence

Patricia L Kronquist says July 23, 2020

I called the cops on him every time he beat me up or raped me. He clued himself out. Now im trying to help my adult children get through. He’s found fresh meat and leaves me alone. She has a lawsuit pending so I’m sure that’s why he’s with her. Im over him, but he treats the kids like crap. That really bothers me. Im still collecting child support. I checked with my pastor and he says that’s ok. So im good. Glad to be away.

Anonymous says July 22, 2020

I don’t think letting a narc know you’re on to them would ever be worth it. I’m lucky to be 4 months no contact after many failed attempts. Mine was incredibly arrogant and while I get hoovered, I keep ignoring. I don’t miss any of the drama and am more than happy to be out of it.

JD says July 16, 2020

I DID EXPOSE my narc husband. Someone sent me screenshots of my narc husband and him sexting some other woman and calling me his “ex’ and sharing sexual images/videos of me with them. I found our he had been living a double life and we had been fighting for a few years, always he was saying that it was “us” and that I wasn’t making him happy. Then a few weeks later he would be nice to me . I agreed to live like that because I am in grad school and we have four kids so we lived apart and I had trust of decades with him. So when I found out the truth, I was disgusted so much so that I set out to find out the truth of the last five years. I went to truama therapy for the sexual violation and I went back to school to study narcissism . I then made his life miserable for a year with texts and occasional meeting. I didn’t accept his crap excuses that it was “us” that was toxic. I made sure to study my NPD traits and with decades of knowing my husband I knew exactly how he thinks so I hit him hard and knew that I was making him so angry inside because he had no way to manipulate out of the truth because I had the evidence right on my phone. i contacted the police and filed a report and I hired a divorce attorney. I know my story is not the typical story and most people I would say no contact is the way to go because the narc has no empathy and they just hurt and don’t care . I just needed to make him know on a sexual level that he was a predator and I wanted him to know that it will never be okay and I won’t let it go and that actions have consequences even for him. Actions have consequences was my whole motto.

Having said all that , I cried so much this year and put on so much weight because the things I found out he did to me was devastating to learn. To think for decades I loved someone who wears a mask and didn’t connect to me the way I connected to them is heartbreaking . I shook from the betrayal and grieved for my marriage and my children. I will say its the worst pain to marry someone who can never think about anyone but themselves and you keep working on yourself for no reason because it is the narcissist who never works on themselves . I don’t know if I am more lonely now that my marriage is over or when I was with my narc husband. All I know for sure is people will try to hurt and exploit others for personal gain and I had to speak my truth because I think we are all in this world together and we all try to have empathy . Those with low to no empathy or those who refuse to use empathy are like vampires who suck the energy out of people and move on to the next. I don’t think people should expose their narc, but I knew in my case I wasn’t letting him think that I did anything to deserve such horrendous treatment.

K says July 14, 2020

Johnny Depp is publicly exposing narcissism to the world in the form of Amber Heard. I’m sorry for Johnny! But Thank you Johnny, for having the balls and means to bring light on the subject of Narcissists.
Johnny Depp is an Earth Angel

Seen and Heard says June 19, 2020

I didn’t know when I asked for a legal separation that I was separating from a covert n.

My situation is complicated.
5 children, some with major disabilities. Awaiting judge’s decision. 13 days of trial. Married 27 years. I keep hearing 2 polar opposites; “It’ll get better,” and “Go no contact, it’ll never get better.”

He’s threatened to fight me until he dies for the kids… we’re both middle aged. And we’re (he’s) wealthy. Has reported on a court ordered app that he’s taking me back to court after divorce to get my guardianship removed from one of our disabled children.

I’ve been a stay at home mom since before the birth of our first child 23 yrs ago.

Please help.

Kim Saeed says June 21, 2020

So sorry to learn of your situation. It’s difficult, for sure.

Anyone who’s telling you “it can get better” is just paying you lip service and/or they have no clue what they’re talking about. I’ve been in this field for ten years now and, sadly, I’ve never seen a situation like yours get better. Not to mention, if things were going to improve, they would have by now after all these years.

The threats he’s making are somewhat common. However, he would have to prove you’re an unfit parent in order to take away your parental rights. That’s almost impossible to do, unless there are any records of things such as drug abuse or suicidal ideations. Otherwise, he’s living in fantasy land. Also, Judges aren’t too keen on ripping children away from their mothers, especially if they have been a child’s main caretaker.

Hope that helps. Xo

Kelly says May 14, 2020

What do I do when I have a child with the narcissist? Every time I’ve left him it was my daughter and the guilt that brought me back. I want to leave this time with no contact but that is taking her father from her. What do I do?

Anonymous says July 22, 2020

I have been in a a similar situation I have two kids with a narcissist an I I honestly think an feel like there’s more damage done by staying in the relationship through abuse and mental damage emotional damage… Truly I stayed married for 12 1/2 years it’s not good for anyone sorry for your troubles stay strong it gets easier I have been narc free sence January although I did mess up an let him back in after 2 almost 3 months in an then realized that no matter what it does not change…. Don’t give up….!!!!!

Kelly says May 14, 2020

I’ve done it all wrong. I exposed them over and over while trying to fight for my self-respect. The abuse has become so bad now I feel like I’m crumbling and I’m unable to function. We have a 3 year old and I have left him 3 times. I WENT BACK!!!! Why???? My daughter and guilt, I think. I don’t know. I’m so confused from the abuse I’m not who I was before we met. I’m so scared of the emotional damage and whether I can repair myself back to my true self. I’m trying to get a job and leave ASAP. He withholds money and now ignores my existence. We need to parent our child but he will not allow that. HE HAD HIS MOTHER MOVE IN FOR A NEW SUPPLY AND PROTECTION!!!!! I’m in hell. He has created a new life with his mom and our child and pushed me out. I isolate in my room, crying, alone, scared. I want my child and my life back. Wth happened?!?! This is worse than hell. And I just can’t believe it come back all three times I even moved all the way to California from Portland Oregon to get away and he talked me into coming back…

Anonymous says May 30, 2020

get your daughter and get out. File a police report and go to family court and get an order of protection. My sons are 16 & 20 and I cannot tell you how your words could be my own. The years have flown by and both my children are suffering from it terribly. A psychiatrist told me when my oldest was just 18 months of the damage that happens to children who grow up in an environment just as you described. I had no idea how I could get away I was too scared. I heard a celebrity say that her husband flipped out screaming and cursing at her while she was holding her one year old daughter. She went into her bedroom and locked the door hoping he would stop for the baby’s sake. He didn’t. The next day she did just what I mentioned. A light bulb went off in my head. I knew that I needed his abuse documented with the police and court. Then he knew to stay away from me and it is almost 7 months. I will file for divorce as soon as this pandemic crisis is lifted. I have to add that I pray every single day. I replace my flashback thoughts immediately with callling on the Blessed Mother, God, St. Michael and my guardian angel to form a shield of protection around me and my children and home and I learned to put music on and dance and sing my heart out. Watch and read uplifting and funny stories. They took up enough of our time. I will not let it be in vain. I am determined to let it make me come out the other side stronger, happier, wiser and more resilient then ever. No more taking up space in my home, life and or thoughts!!! With God all things are possible. And of course people like Kim who knows exactly what we’ve been through, are going through and what we need to do. I make a point of being so grateful every day all day for not being like that. We are fortunate enough to have compassion and the capacity to love deeply. Don’t beat yourself up because you can see from everyone of us commenting on this blog that we all share the same scars for the same reasons from the same disordered type of people. I wish you strength and courage. All the best to you Kelly and anyone reading this. I am no where near close to being where I need to be, but I am keeping my focus straight ahead, living in the moment and picturing all the things that are to come.

Reland says April 27, 2020

I was married to a covert narcissist for 26 years. We separated early in 2013. My divorce was final in July 2015.
I remarried January 2016 & learned of narcissistic abuse 2 months later.
Everything I once believed about love, trust & relationships was shattered. My healing journey has been an emotional roller coaster from hell! It has also been a bit lonely save the various online groups I joined & the slew of information I’ve read & listened to. It’s helped me understand how they operate & given me insight to why I feel the way I do at times & am more focused towards healing from the damage & it’s residual side effects. I have serious trust issues, overthinking, hyper vigilant, numb my feelings & bottle them. But the worst is trying to learn what love from a man is! I am learning it from my new husband but my only comparison was a lie! It’s all so very different which has me struggling with how differently we express love. Yes, I still have confusion, self doubt, low self esteem & worth, but I am working on them. This may sound strange but I do have some confidence back in certain areas. It’s a jaded kind of confidence that came with a fuck it attitude, blunt truth, & an ability to cut off my compassion.
I’m very guarded & let very few in. Is this normal? I know I will never be the person he(ex) met & was a mere shell of a woman when he discarded me.
Narcissists are horrifying people! And there are so damn many out there! I believe the covert ones try to kill you by getting you to do their dirty work! After all, they believe they’re the victims!

Anonymous says April 17, 2020

Never saw it coming. Started believing that she was my soulmate.
That until she showed what she truly was.
Worst of all is that these people are truly needy and faulty in their emotions.
An empath should be their “angel on earth” and everything they wished for.

anonomous says October 18, 2020

I was the same way as you. Feel head over heals with a younger woman, 20 years younger them, who chased after me. I could write word for word my experiences that everyone has submitted in their comments on this site, so I all I can say is…been there done that. I feel your pain, disappointment, emotional abuse, etc.. It gets better especially when you use NO CONTACT. If there is a child from the relationship, limit the amount of communication to the barest minimum with the NPD co-parent. Do not hesitate to use the courts!

Hope says April 9, 2020

I need help dealing with a narcissistic son. He’s 27. Always ends up on my doorstep when he’s in trouble. Been here 2 years this time. I need to break free from the guilt of thinking I had a hand in making him this way. I am always the cause of his problems, then he says I’m always making it about me. I totally support him financially. Trying to “help” him put me in bankruptcy 2 years ago. Bail money (drugs, but he’s clean now) cars, lawyers, therapist (he has no insurance) broke me. Screaming matches constantly, I just don’t respond. He destroys things instead of hitting me. Yesterday, I broke and called 911. Ended up with 5 police cars, firetruck and paramedics at my house. Did not lock him up, I’d only get him out, but he had to leave for the day. He lies and tells people I say terrible things, well I found an app that records and transcribes. I could here him coming in, he lives in a tiny house in my backyard, and I switched it on. He called his dad, sister, whoever would listen, to tell them lies about what happened.

Seeing my son lying facedown in the front yard with guns drawn on me resonated with me finally. I can no longer deny that I can fix him. I can no longer try to buy his love, or make his life easier. He will never love me like I wish, he can’t. I have to stop feeling guilty, it’s not my fault. It is so hard with a son, your flesh and blood. You can’t divorce them or forget about them. I am weak. So hoping this helps me. I truly believe the next blowup will result in him killing me.

Gabi Wenzelow says March 30, 2020

Now that I’m wise to the abuse I’m going to start feeding my mama with a long-handled spoon!

Jhanelle says March 26, 2020

I cant wait to go through your course. I have been reading all the articles on this site and its insane to read. You’re writting the story of the last 3+ years of my life! What he’s done to me, the reasons i stayed, the rationalizations i gave in my mind for his behavior. I still cant wrap my mind around HOW someone can do these things to another person, on purpose, and not care, nor stop. But i know now there is no excuse. He is just plain rotten inside. His soul is black. Im not even gonna tell my story because there is just so much bad. He did everything listed in all your articles except actually kill us or our pets. Thats the only thing left to do from this horror of a person who has upped the ante continuously and with frightening intensity ever since i found quora and started learning about personality disorders and showed him articles about narcissism and said “thats you.” Holy sh*t thats when even the pretense of caring or remorse went flying out the window and the real games began. And for 4 months i was stuck. Addicted to this devil who didnt do anything but actively hurt me on purpose, lie and steal from me, wake me up by punching me in the head. There i go starting the list. Doesnt matter what he did to me. Its done. I just want to learn how to heal and im impaitent to start that journey. Ive only had 1 therapy session so far so i have a lot to learn.

There was two reasons it was all worth living through this hell. First is my son, who will never know his sperm donor as he grows up, i will love him enough for two. Secondly although currently broken, i am becoming a better person, mother, daughter, friend. It took being treated with such horrifiying cruelty to realize my own flaws and short comings and failings in life. Turns out i have borderline personality disorder and i myself had been hurting people and oblivious to the actual damage i was causing. So my self awareness has been increasing, this has been a mind blowing realization that would never have occured to me if not for him. I am 39 years old and wow. Just wow. On top of the horrendous pain inside me from all the hurt he gave me on a daily basis, the realization of my own actions and behaviors to my own family (although not as bad as the sociopath narc and always with different, non malicious intent and motive) doesnt matter. My family still were on the recieving end of my actions and behaviors. The shame i feel is all consuming. The regret. The shame. Realizing the pain I caused my family hurts so bad my mind is sorta not letting me feel it in its entirety yet because i couldnt bear that. Hurt and pain when you have BPD is so intense it actually is like a constant actual PHYSICAL pain in my chest. It is also so heavy.

Anyway the positive. Even though i am entirely broken right now, my logical mind knows that this piece of sh*t might actually of been the best thing that ever happened to me. If it werent for the cruel, life altering experiance he gave me, i dont know if i would of ever experianced the realization of ME and MY actions. I am now able to self assess honestly and start the healing process for my children myself and my family.

I am a better person and will only get better and better in this life because of living through the hell he put me through.

I am day 4 of the 147th attempt (lol) of no contact. But after what he did 4 days ago. I know i am good on this one. It even feels different. Its a weird feeling. I need to heal. I have a ton of hard work ahead, but I am free.
I. AM. FREE.

Anonymous says March 17, 2020

This article is helping me so much! It confirms what I’ve felt and known. And key points that I need to work my way out of are brought up, especially the self-sabotage and the loss of identity. Thank you thank you Kim for always finding things to bring in that are a way out.

So many other authors Define things but the way out is not found. Thank you for helping us with the steps
o. u. t. !

Matthew Gerome says February 28, 2020

I completely agree with everything that you have stated.Its All so true!
I wish that I had had such insight and guidance prior to becoming involved with a narcissist.I had no clue!
No doubt most who read your posts would agree.
Who would think people could be so intentionally cold ,cruel and brutal to someone they claim to love?
No one! So We learn the,hard way!
Unfortunately I did the opposite of what you wisely recommend to Not do.
I actively fought to expose the the low down,dirty,rotten behavior and treatment that I experienced.I am currently still debating if it was worth it or not.I Have Paid a steep price for my not keeping quiet. A Narcissist knows of no mercy.You Will pay dearly for your efforts to expose them! I don’t feel as though I could have kept quiet.I felt compelled to” war”. I wanted everyone east of the Mississippi to know what happened to me.To hell with being embarrassed ,appearing foolish or crazy!
I would not tell another person in the same position to do as i did because you Will pay.I do not have children.Most of my family is either gone or lives elsewhere. The only two people that I cared about how they thought of me were her two little girls.My love and friendship with them was used as a tool to inflict emotional damage immediately at my discard.
I felt as if I didn’t have much to lose.This was proven quite erroneous.We always have something to lose. If you choose to confront and expose a Narcissist you will lose things that you may have not been aware of until you realize that you have lost them.I have lost so much.
A Narcissist will leave you with nothing but Loss for your allowing them into your life.I am now broken and badly damaged for my initial trust and allowance.
I don’t know if all of my time, energy,and loss will help to prevent anyone in the future from experiencing what happend to me but if it does then I will know that it was worth it.
You Are quite correct in telling people to not confront. But if you do be forewarned that regardless of the outcome you will gain nothing.You will lose!
This is the hardest thing to learn about Narcissists.
There are no winners.
Everyone loses.
Be thankful to have survived.
As survivors we should do what we can to bring this insidious behavior to light.
Kim you are doing that and I thank you for your efforts.

RC says July 22, 2020

Dear Matthew, thank you for sharing. I am a fighter too. Except for my children I don’t have family. They all passed away. I have a few lovely friends.
    You are so right. I am in divorce now with my narcissistic ex husband to be. It feels like I am losing all the time. If I react or not, if I keep calm, it doesn’t matter because he always makes up a new reality where he gets away with it and does not want to take responsibility.
    I don’t want to let it hurt my feelings anymore but it does.
    It is so frustrating to notice that people are ‘on his side’ and think I am the b**ch.
    If they would only knew how he left me (another woman) and with how much debts. He’s SICK!!
    I don’t know how to arrange the divorce because he is delaying it with all sorts of stupidity.
    I get hope from my friends and my kids are giving me the power to be there for them. Today they are going to stay with their dad for two and a half weeks because of summer holidays. My heart is broken… It is so hard to miss them knowing he is misleading them too with all his fun and nice behaviour. He must be the good dad to the world so nobody can say anything about him. But in the meanwhile he manipulates them too. Disgusting.
    Wishing you all the best and thank you for sharing.

DL says July 31, 2020

I have no contact now with my children. Even though I had custody, he was able to convince them that I was the evil one. When they turned 15, they all went to live with him. They are now all drug addicts and one I believe is a narcissist as well. It’s hell. I pray your outcome is better.

47 and Fabulous says February 18, 2020

I detailed what I knew, all the tactics that he employed and the red flags (I missed/didn’t want to see), and sent a text. I gave him “options”on why he may have done it…trauma in his past or a simple desire to be cruel…or both and told him he didn’t break me and that I was still whole and standing. I told him I knew it was painful being him and that I was so sorry for him(he hates pity). That I could see how unsatisfied his life was and that all his life failures must be difficult to face. I told him that he is gutted by the root from my spirit and to get help, and that I didn’t need a response. I blocked him from all social media, and made bread for my family. I got it out, said my peace and was done with him. Oddly my mind ran on him quite a bit this past weekend, and as my son and I loaded bikes in the truck, he passed by my house. Our eyes locked for a moment, and I broke the gaze with the closing of my door. You can’t get to anything from my street. I don’t know what he could have hoped to gain by driving by.

Anonymous says February 18, 2020

I detailed what I knew, all the tactics that he employed and the red flags (I missed/didn’t want to see). I gave him options on why he may have done it…trauma in his past or a simple desire to be cruel…or both and told him he didn’t break me and that I was still whole and standing. I told him I knew it was painful being him and that I was so sorry for him. That I could see how unsatisfied his life was and that all his life failures must be difficult to face. I told him that he is gutted by the root from my spirit and to get help, and that I didn’t need a response. I blocked him from all social media, and made bread for my family. I got it out, and was done with him. Oddly my mind ran on him quite a bit this past weekend, and as my son and I loaded bikes in the truck, he passed by my house. Our eyes locked for a moment, and I broke the gaze with the closing of my door. You can’t get to anything from my street.

Gina says February 10, 2020

Dear Kim, whenever I start doubting my decision to break loose, I read one of your inspiring and informative texts. Thank you so much! Our Narc kept 1400 people hostage and most of them did not realize the lure and the hidden cruelty of this almost incapable boss. Wishing everybody strength and lucidity, XXX

Angel dassau says February 7, 2020

I thank you very much for all of the information and healing you offer.
What I have not been able to find any help with is when your adult children are affected by the narc that you went no contact with and begin to blame you for not trying to make up with the narc after so long!
My mother whom I have been no contact with for almost 8 years seems to have breast cancer and has been in touch with all my kids and wants me to reach out to her!! I know her and I know what will happen if I allow her back in my life. How do I make my kids see I am not cold and cruel. I just must protect myself.

Jon Rhodes says February 4, 2020

Hi Kim. It’s not really worth exposing a narcissist. Like you say, they’ll NEVER hold their hands up, come clean, and change their ways. They know attack is the best form is defence, so you just get dragged into a toxic war.

Whenever I’ve spotted a narcissist, I don’t say anything to them. Most are undiagnosed anyway. And they certainly won’t admit anythings wrong with them.

I just keep them at arms length, or avoid them altogether if I can. And I make sure I don’t rise to their bate, which I know will be coming. I have also privately advised others and warned them about particular narcissists. And given them advice on how best to handle them.

Kim Saeed says March 1, 2020

Sounds like you have things under control, Jon 🙂

Anonymous says May 14, 2020

How can you see or know if someone is a narcissist without spending time with them? What are the signs?

Alana says February 2, 2020

I have a hard time trying to figure out if it’s me that’s the narcissist or my significant other or both of us… just tired of the toxicity. And I just blame myself for every bit of every we’re currently going through and have been through. I just don’t know what to do at this point…

Kim Saeed says March 1, 2020

Hi Alana, if you are wondering if you’re a narcissist, you’re tired of the toxicity, and you blame yourself for everything…then those are three big indicators that you’re NOT a narcissist. You are probably just being accused of being the abuser or the toxic one, which you may have begun to internalize.

Hope that helps!

anon says May 6, 2020

I have been having all of the three thoughts you mentioned recently following a breakup with my ex-gf who had me arrested and orchestrated a successful plot to get me kicked out of my own flat by my flatmate after we broke up. Following the break up i tried reaching out to her politely to see if we could talk but i received abuse and then I was accused of harassing her when i asked for my stuff back and was arrested! I totally did a lot of things wrong in the relationship which I take responsibility for and made mistakes but I always wanted to try and work things through with her. I kept finding myself not being open to say how I felt during the relationship as I felt things were always my fault. I feel completely worthless now and feel guilty everyday. Had I not made mistakes maybe things wouldn’t have broken down and maybe I could have not made her do the things she did? I’ll never get closure now as to why someone who claimed to love me went to such great lengths to attempt to ruin my life

anon says May 6, 2020

I have been having all of the three thoughts you mentioned recently following a breakup with my ex-gf who had me arrested and orchestrated a successful plot to get me kicked out of my own flat after we broke up. Following the break up i tried reaching out to her politely to see if we could talk but i received abuse and then I was accused of harassing her when i asked for my stuff back. I totally did a lot of things wrong in the relationship which I take responsibility for and made mistakes but I always wanted to try and work things through with her. I kept finding myself not being open to say how I felt during the relationship as I felt things were always my fault. I feel completely worthless now and feel guilty everyday. Had I not made mistakes maybe things wouldn’t have broken down and maybe I could have not made her do the things she did? I’ll never get closure now as to why someone who claimed to love me went to such great lengths to attempt to ruin my life

Hilary says January 30, 2020

I needed this advice a year ago. On my own I learned hard way not replying to ANY comments or photos was the only way to get peace. Thanks

Sara says January 27, 2020

“Narcissists are absolutely not above making you homeless, cleaning out your bank account, publicly posting your intimate photos, intentionally crashing your car, or withholding access to your own children to get what they want from you.”.
This and ALL 10- Stages, ARE ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY TRUE!!!!
For any Man, Woman, &/or Children if you think that you have
fallen PREY(YES, PREY)to Abuse
from a Narcissist? Then make your exit plan and DEFINITELY DON’T CONFRONT them! Make the QUIETEST, CLEANEST Exit possible and NEVER look back!
It has been almost a year since I caught my husband & Father to OUR only child CHEATING. Caught as in had the address and lured him out of her apt. While I video taped him bumping into the
bumper of my car. In 11 mos. I have been arrested 2x and have NOT EVER been in trouble with the law. I am currently homeless & without a vehicle… therefore any job is out of the question. Estranged from my family…and have paid a Divorce Lawyer $3200 owe $1000 more and still have NO Signed Separation filed with the Courthouse. Just so you know, State of NC requires Documented Separation for at least a full year before a Judge will sign off on any Divorce. There
is no financial support of any kind. I have about 2 friends that I completely Trust, thank God and I am currently “couch surfing” between the 2. I am going back to school, I have reconnected with a friend that I grew up with &
He lived next door. And he is trying to SHOW Me just what REAL LOVE & DEVOTION are. I had NO Idea, that REAL LOVE & DEVOTION could feel this GOOD! Thank You to the Handful of Friends that have fed Me, given Me a warm bed or couch, and any other little everyday necessities that y’all have sometimes struggled yourselves to provide for Me. And Very Special Thank You to Anne with an ‘E’ ALWAYS My Bitch having my back, & to Special ‘K’… YOU were sent by my Grandmother! She always had the idea that we should be together. We got here messy, but all of the PAIN, Anger, all of it I am Grateful for because it LED ME straight back to YOU!
For anyone that has suffered from the Abuse of a Narcissistic Partner, you will EXPERIENCE HAPPINESS & JOY in your life AGAIN. Don’t give up on yourself.
STOP feeling GUILTY and LOVE the person you are growing into!

Sara P., NC

Anonymous says January 21, 2020

Quietly get away and get your health back. Don’t feel the need to expose them. They’ll show their own true colors eventually anyway. You have the advantage just to have them out of your life for good and that is winning big. It doesn’t matter if they move on. They are bound to mess up every relationship ever. It’s just a matter of time. They suffer for their own choices and behaviors. God is fair. Having to have revenge sounds like the abuser, not the abused. Freedom is the ultimate reward.

Lynn says January 25, 2020

Amen!!!

Fern says January 21, 2020

Great video and article. I can see that I experienced a string of miracles. Went no contact in mid July as he dumped me while I was in the hospital with a severe injury. I was not in a community hospital so navigating the hospital phones is something most do not know how to do. I could not get cell phone coverage and my number had to change. I was house bound 2 months and in January am just getting where I can drive more than 10 miles. I am not in touch with his best flying monkey as I don’t work with her anymore. He did some stalking, but I changed my number for good and he has found driving all the way to my house to stalk is not his cup of tea. Just lots of things happened to keep me apart from him. I am so grateful. I think he would have been physical. He would have been rough on me. Somehow, even if he aggressively reaches out, I am isolated from him. He can’t be vindictive or play mind games with me. Seriously, a string of blessings. Adverse conditions, but the rest of my life was saved. This session just pointed that out. Everything you said is so true. This is not my first narcissist, but it sure will be my last. I can spot them in the first 2 minutes thanks to you and others in the field over the years. Wow.

Sandra Hoerle says January 20, 2020

Dear Kim—I found that if one records their rages and outbursts and discards, they disappear as soon as one informs them of that. I sent a transcript of the last discard, I did this in a letter, and also said that if anyone said to me again that they never saw that side of him, I’d play the recording. Never heard another word. I suppose they would only have to believe there’s a recording…!

Anonymous says April 24, 2020

That’s the very best you can do. Each time she goes off, which is daily – I record EVERYTHING!!! Sadly, I can’t get away just yet. After six years of having to be back in this house with her – the day will come where I can escape, never to look back on this horrific, hurtful, toxic life I’ve had to live. She is my mother… I honestly don’t know how I’ve lasted this long as there were some real dark days. Although, I’ve learned my lessons and know how to approach situations… Say nothing EVER!!! As you can not argue, place boundaries with a mentally ill and narcissistic individual…

Olivia says January 20, 2020

I experienced this recently- ironically it was the teacher on my counselling course, who was certainly toxic if not a narcissist. She was lovely in public but snappy and bitchy one to one. She was very passive aggressive, pretending she couldn’t read my email address and ‘forgetting’ to send me information. I’m not sure if she did this with the other students but she definitely singled me out.
I made the mistake at first, of thinking she was snapping at me because of something I’d done wrong, and wrote it all down in my weekly journal, which she marked! That must have alerted her that I was a ‘whistleblower’ and she didn’t get nicer but slightly nastier.
I passed the course though, which was my objective. No doubt her teacher targets prevented her from failing me. But I did NOT continue with the next course.
At least 3 other people realised she was passive aggressive but they didn’t make the mistake of writing it down! Lesson learned- don’t let them know you’re onto them (if the narcissist is just a temporary person in your life)

E says January 19, 2020

I’ve been following you for quite some time now and think your course would probably be very helpful but I have been emotionally and psychologically beaten down so much and trying to keep my head together for my teenage son that I can barely focus or concentrate on reading material that might actually help me. I become more scared to start a divorce bc although my son has adhd and severe emotional issues from the tension, he loves his father and I’m afraid he’ll just break even though he’s in therapy. Im also very concerned that my husband will destroy me financially–my excellent credit, whatever settlement might otherwise be considered fair, all of this keeps me paralyzed…and I’m in therapy, too. I’ve spoken to attorneys, coaches, therapists (mine and my son’s), friends, family…I’m still completely stuck. Now my father-in-law and brother-in-law have constant health issues so I end up feeling guilty for even thinking about a divorce. My son and I are suffering terribly and I feel like no matter what I do I will hurt everyone and myself.